28 Sep 2023
Are you planning your first trip to Charleston, South Carolina? You're in for a treat as you take a step back in time and into a rich culture! This historic city is brimming with Southern charm, fascinating history, and a vibrant culinary scene. From cobblestone streets to picturesque waterfronts, Charleston offers an array of experiences to satisfy every traveler's appetite.
Get ready to immerse yourself in the heart of the Lowcountry and book your Charleston vacation rental today!
Where to Eat
Charleston is a food lover's paradise, and you're sure to be spoiled for choice when it comes to dining options. Here are some popular restaurants that will excite your taste buds:
- Husk: Located in a historic Victorian-era mansion, Husk is renowned for its farm-to-table Southern cuisine. Chef Sean Brock crafts dishes that celebrate the region's culinary heritage.
- FIG (Food is Good): FIG lives up to its name by offering delicious, locally sourced dishes. The menu changes regularly to showcase the freshest ingredients available.
- The Ordinary: The Ordinary serves up an exceptional selection of oysters and seafood in a beautifully restored bank building. Enjoy seafood the way it's meant to be enjoyed.
- Chubby Fish: A unique dock-to-table concept with fresh Lowcountry seafoood in the Elliottborough neighborhood.
- Poogan's Porch: Experience true Southern hospitality at Poogan's Porch, a charming restaurant housed in a historic Victorian home. Don't miss their famous biscuits and she-crab soup.
Where to Shop
Charleston offers a unique shopping experience that combines Southern style with a dash of coastal flair. Most shops are found right in downtown and completely walkable so you don't have to worry about transportation. Just make sure to stay hydrated on those hot, summer days. Here are some shopping areas to explore:
- King Street: This bustling street is a shopaholic's dream. From high-end boutiques to charming local shops, King Street has it all. You can treat yourself to a Kate Spade handbag or a pair of Chubbies' shorts (a must-have in southern fashion).
- Charleston City Market: This historic market stretches for four city blocks and is a must-visit for anyone looking for unique Charleston souvenirs. You'll find local artisans selling their wares, including the iconic sweetgrass baskets. The local artisan souvenirs are a must-grab before you leave town!
- Antique District: Charleston is also known for its antique shops. Head to the Antique District on lower King Street to discover vintage treasures and unique home decor items.
- Freshfields Village: Located just a short drive from downtown Charleston on Kiawah Island, Freshfields Village is an outdoor shopping and dining destination. It's perfect for a relaxed afternoon of retail therapy.
Charleston's rich history is evident in its well-preserved architecture and historic sites. From early settlers to the American Revolution, there is so much history preserved in these streets and well-worth exploring. Here are some essential historical sites to explore:
- The Battery and White Point Garden: Stroll along the picturesque promenade of The Battery and enjoy the historic mansions and cannons. White Point Garden is a lovely place for a picnic with a view of Fort Sumter.
- Historic Plantations: Explore the city's plantation history by visiting plantations like Middleton Place, Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, and Boone Hall Plantation. Each offers a glimpse into Charleston's past and beautiful gardens to wander through.
- Fort Sumter National Monument: Take a ferry ride to Fort Sumter, the site where the first shots of the American Civil War were fired. The museum and guided tours provide valuable insights into this pivotal moment in history.
- The Nathaniel Russell House: Step back in time with a visit to the Nathaniel Russell House Museum. This Federal-style mansion is a masterpiece of neoclassical architecture and offers a glimpse into early 19th-century Charleston life.
In addition to its rich history and culinary delights, Charleston offers a variety of attractions that cater to all interests:
- Rainbow Row: One of Charleston's most photographed spots, Rainbow Row is a row of historic pastel-colored houses that make for a captivating Instagram-worthy moment.
- Boat Tours: Charleston's waterways are teeming with history and wildlife. Consider taking a boat tour to explore the harbor, see dolphins, and learn about the city's maritime heritage.
- The Charleston Tea Garden: Discover the art of tea production at the Charleston Tea Garden, where you can take a tour of the tea fields and sample some of the finest American-grown tea.
- Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum: History buffs will enjoy a visit to Patriots Point, where you can explore the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier and other historic naval vessels.
Dive Into the Rich History and Book Your Charleston Vacation Rental Today
To make the most of your Charleston experience, find your relaxing personal space when you book your vacation rental with Beachside Vacations. We offer a wide range of beautiful properties that will put you as close or as far from the action as you'd like. Whether you're looking for a relaxing beach escape or a historic downtown retreat, Beachside Vacations has you covered. Start browsing through our available properties and book your Charleston vacation rental today!