Here in the Lowcountry you might notice that the locals never seem to be bored. Well here at Beachside we are letting the secrets to this fun inspired lifestyle out. Here are a few of our suggestions as reflected by Ken Burger's article in the Post and Courier.
This article, written by Ken Burger truly displays the different pastimes of local Charlestonian's and regular Isle of Palm vacation goers. The title, "There's never nothing to do around here" pokes fun at "those types of people" who just can't get out and have a good time! If you have any questions involving these activities while on your trip do not hesitate to call and Beachside Vacations will make sure to assist you in any way possible!
There's never nothing to do around here
by Ken Burger Of The Post and Courier
Staff Sporting notes compiled while wondering if you can get it all done before football season starts:
- Go down to the Washout on Folly Beach and watch the surfers cavort on the waves.
- Better yet, actually go out into the Atlantic Ocean and body surf.
- Raise your hand shamefully if you've never been out to Fort Sumter.
- Go see the Hunley.
- Snooze in a Pawley's Island hammock.
- Grab a beach chair, some sun screen and a place on the beach at Sullivan's Island and read "Sullivan's Island."
- Fish off the Battery.
- Crab in the Abbapoola Creek and get pluff mud between your toes.
- Shag at the Folly Beach Pier.
- Put the top down.
- Three words: Frankie's Fun Park!
"And with the radio blasting, goes cruising just as fast as she can now/ And she'll have fun, fun, fun 'til daddy takes the T-bird away." "Fun, Fun, Fun," The Beach Boys
BE A TOURIST
- Spend an hour watching Citadel coach Pat Dennis instruct little kids in his summer basketball camp.
- Amble through the Amazon exhibit at our beautiful aquarium.
- Go kayaking or horseback riding at Middleton Plantation.
- You've seen the sign a thousand times. Now go visit Francis Beidler Forest.
- Explore the ACE Basin.
- Picnic in Hampton Park.
- Stroll down a quiet, cobblestone street South of Broad.
- Stick your nose in an art gallery and learn something.
- Visit the Charleston Museum.
- Treat your out-of-town visitors to a carriage tour.
- Take a camera. Don't be afraid of being a tourist in your own town.
- Swing on a swing at Waterfront Park.
- Take your kids camping in the backyard.
- Make friends with someone who owns a sailboat.
"So hoist up the John B's sail/ See how the mainsail sets/ Call for the captain ashore/ Let me go home/ Let me go home." "Sloop John B," The Beach Boys ENDLESS THANKS
- Take in a RiverDogs game. Wacky promotions, good eats and gorgeous sunsets on the Ashley River.
- And don't forget the Charleston Battery soccer team.
- Cool off at one of our wonderful county waterparks.
- Contemplate life at Mepkin Abbey.
- Cruise the West Ashley bike trail.
- Invite friends over for Frogmore Stew.
- Take a kid fishing.
- Book a golf lesson at Patriots Point.
- Break a hundred at Muni.
- Take a long walk on the beach at the Isle of Palms.
- Watch a volleyball game at the Windjammer.
- Enjoy an umbrella drink on a rooftop bar.
- Tour the Yorktown.
- Paint a picture. Write a poem.
- Go to a local playground and watch kids play T-ball.
- Visit the Raptor Center at Seewee.
- Get unplugged: Turn off your TV for a week.
- Get down on your knees and give thanks that you don't live in Columbia.
"When it's ice cream weather get the gang back together, roll down your windows and ride/ They'll be sleeping in the sand dunes, dancing in the streets/ They're just trying to keep the summer alive." "Keepin' The Summer Alive," The Beach Boys